It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Khador lists: best worst idea or worst best idea
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:25 pm 

So I'm actually really pleased with how Claws of the Dragon is turning out. Possibly so much so that I'll keep it around even after I get the Doomreavers back instead of making pButcher into a gunline. I think they're different enough that I can bring both to a 3 list format - I just need to determine what's to come of the 3rd list but I want to make it Butcher3.

I don't like playing playing him without protection but I'm having trouble balancing that with bringing business to the table. Luckily I have almost all the characters free to go here and this is what I am hoping to try over the next couple weeks.

Kommander Zoktavir, The Butcher Unleashed (*4pts)
* Kodiak (8pts)
* War dog (1pts)
Battle Mechaniks (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)
Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan (2pts)
Ogrun Bokur (3pts)
Ogrun Bokur (3pts)
Gun Carriage (9pts)
Ragman (2pts)
Gun Carriage (9pts)

The idea is that it's butcher hiding behind any combination of a free-running kodiak and 2 battle engines. That's a wall of def 10 armor 20. 34 boxes on the kodiak and 22 for each gun carriage. Mechaniks force folks to tear one down in a single activation and two bokurs try to make that difficult when they decide to take the big shots. If folks jam me with infantry the idea is that the winterguard spray through the tanks to clear them off. Should those models somehow be no-reach but with high-ish armor, ragman can give death shroud through the tank to make the sprays pow 12. The hope is that this list overall provides enough protection while doing work. Yes, Butcher is the only model that can deal with armor but I have Gorman and eEiryss to neutralize 1 or 2 so they don't all have to die at once if they rush me.

Please let me know if you see some glaring holes in this that wouldn't be mitigated by my having the two other dude-spam lists.

Post subject: Re: Khador lists: best worst idea or worst best idea
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

2 bokurs/2 tanks seems like overkill to just "keep" him safe. But 2 battle engines could be cool to see moving down the field.

Terrain Blog - http://carnage4u.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:40 pm 

I might be overselling the tanks because the bokurs are the only models that are pure-protection in my mind so I don't mind their cost - many current lists have some combination of boomhowler, ternions and eAlexia.

It really depends how many big boostable guns this list will see. Considering the pairings it may not see many so the bokurs can become eliminators or so. The golden standard would be to have this list be able to hid behind the tanks for one round of shooting from eHaley double stormwall.

BTW - I assume you choose to trigger shield guard before the opponent decides to boost damage, does anyone know for sure?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:02 pm 

Shield guard is triggered on hit, so yes, it'd be before any damage roll, and the decision to boost.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:17 am 

Played this last night for the first time and it seemed to do what it was designed for.

I think Juggernaut + full mechanics is preferable to kodiak + min mechanics - having another high pow weapon to threaten heavies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:41 am 

Yeah it seemed to do alright against my Thyra list which I was trying out for the first time. I wouldn't say the 2 battle engines got their points back in models killed, but they did force me to go up and deal with them, which brought my 2 heavy jacks up for Butcher. So might not have got their points from kills, but did a good job of sucking my jacks up closer to you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:48 pm 

Seems like an interesting list and would definitely not be something people have planned for :-)

Best Arcanist kills to date:
The last Bane Knights with Tartarus still in play
The sixth Fennblade causing a command check they failed

Best Shepherd kills to date:
Behemoth